Making The Most Of Flex Benefits & Vision Insurance In December
Between all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, you can spend a lot of money. Gifts, parties, clothes, travel – the list goes on and on! This is definitely a time of year when you don’t want to leave money sitting on the table. Yet, that is exactly what hundreds of families around the country do each year by not using their Flexible Spending Accounts or their vision benefits before they expire on December 31. Here are a couple of ways you can make the most of your time and money in December to maximize your savings!
1. Ask yourself a few questions.
- Do I have vision insurance? Do I have something like “VSP, Eyemed, or Superior”, just to name a few?
- If I don’t have separate vision insurance, do I have medical insurance that might cover an eye exam?
- Do we have a FSA or HSA account and does it expire by at the end of 2013?
2. Use your benefit! Maybe you have 20/20 vision, or maybe you need correction of some kind. Regardless, if you haven’t had an eye exam in a year, you need to have one! Better yet, if you have the coverage for an eye exam, why not take advantage of your insurance covering this visit? Parents, have you checked to see if you have coverage for your kids on your insurance plans? This is a great time of year to make sure that ALL of your children have had their annual eye exam!
3. Money to burn? Many individuals and families find themselves with an extra couple hundred dollars or more in their flexible spending accounts that they need to find a use for. Your eye doctor is a great place to use that money to get a backup pair of glasses, prescription sunglasses, contacts, or all of the above!
4. Don’t Delay! It’s already the second week of December, folks! That means the countdown is on. We’d hate to see our patients lose out on their own money because they waited too long before the holiday rush came.
Castle Pines Eye Care deals with insurance and flex spending day in and day out for our patients. We aren’t going to guarantee that we know all of the nitty gritty details of your specific insurance plan, but we can help you understand your plan and help you find answers! We also understand that December is an important time of year to make sure you don’t let these benefits expire and we are happy to help you use those benefits on services and items that will enhance your vision and eye health.